Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The strength of weakness

Psalm 39:4 "LORD, make me to know my end,
         And what is the measure of my days,
         That I may know how frail I am."

 

The passage above stood out this morning as I navigated through Psalms 36-40.  I thought about the emphasis we have on strength, health, vitality and youthfulness and I realized that it's more important to have a grip on the temporary-ness of our lives and our inherent weakness.  We tend to roll from day to day, not wanting to face two truths: "We are going to die one day" and "There is nothing we can do about it".   But if we come to grips with those realities and move past them to the greater reality that we can be with God forever, we can begin to focus on developing our relationship with Him now.

 

Psalm 39:7 "And now, Lord, what do I wait for?
         My hope is in You."

 

The strength of weakness is that it can lead us to embrace His strength, and find our Hope in Him and not ourselves.

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment