Saturday, July 3, 2010

What if they took it all away?

As I stood looking out across a local reservoir in the refreshing, cool morning air I considered...not just the beauty of my setting, but the troubles we are facing as a people and as a nation.   There is a palpable sense that there is much that is unhealthy in the world of trade, money, debt and this rocks our sense of financial security.  Homes, jobs, future income have all seemed, or actually been, in jeopardy.  Even some folks living on pensions have been concerned over the possibility of their hard-earned retirement being affected.  So....what if they took it all away?  What if the worst happened and I lost it all...job, cars, house, insurance, money ?  As I gazed over the perfectly level surface of the water and up at the luminous blue sky above I realized that no matter what I lose, I cannot lose my close walk with Jesus.  They can't take that away.  If the economy crumbles and I must scramble to find bread and to put shoes on my feet...then I will scramble and work and somehow find a way.  And He will be with me and in the midst of the greatest trial He will not diminish...no, He will be magnified and the loss of the material will only allow an increase in the eternal.  I thought about the pioneers who built lives out of America in the early years.  They didn't have much materially but were rich in other ways.  As they fashioned homes and carved livings out of dense forests converted to productive fields they were satisfied. 
 
If they take it all away, we will suffer, but we will grow and we will thrive because we will return to the essence of life...our delight will center, again, on Him.
 
Luke 12:29 "And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. 31 But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. 32 "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment