Monday, September 20, 2010

of lasting value

As I walked through the refreshing early September morning and reflected on the beauty of the wooded path and crystal sky above I considered the long term future and the distant past.  I pondered the things that would carry over from this life to the eternal dimension after I die and reasoned that those should be the things I focus on now.  But what are those things?  Then it occurred to me to thing back into the distant past of my life to consider the most lasting memories I have.  I  thought  that perhaps the same kinds of things that make a lasting memory might have lasting value in heaven.  The irony is that our lasting memories don't seem to come from the objects of our energy so much as the relationships that touch us.  Through school and sports and career we strive for accomplishment, achievement...to make a mark and to stand out.  But what I remember most, thinking back, is standing next to my Dad as he cut wood on a table saw to build something (and the something isn't what I recall)...or I remember sitting next to my Grandpa as he drove his old truck that smelled of cigar smoke, and I knew I was loved.   I remember returning from a seven month Naval deployment to see my future wife...but I don't remember a lot about the seven months leading up to that event.  I remember being overwhelmed with love and kindness after having a serious accident and injury when struck by a car on my bicycle.  But I really don't remember the accident, itself, so much.  I remember picking up and swinging around three little girls who are now young women and my daughters and now I remember picking up and swinging around little grandchildren.  My memories may be a guide about the things of lasting value.  It seems that the relationships of love have overwhelmed the accomplishments of living.  Perhaps this is an indication of what we will carry over to Heaven.  Whatever I accomplish will fade almost as soon as it is done but the people I know along the way will last.  I know that the Lord cherishes relationships because He sent His Son to restore a relationship with us that had been broken.  And despite the majesty of God's creation and all He has fashioned... I think most about His love for me.  Our memories may be a good indication of the things that are of lasting value.
 
Psalm 78:38 But He, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity,
         And did not destroy them.
         Yes, many a time He turned His anger away,
         And did not stir up all His wrath;
 39 For He remembered that they were but flesh,
         A breath that passes away and does not come again.

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment