Monday, October 4, 2010

returning to Heaven

I just had to return to Heaven this morning.  That is, I needed to return my thoughts and set my hopes on Heaven this morning.  I get frustrated with my inability to put God first and keep Him foremost in my thoughts.  So many "cares of this world" seem to sweep me away...and far too easily.  So, as I walked in the light morning rain and as night was reluctantly yielding to day I became quiet and listened for the Lord.  I thought about how, at this stage of life, with children raised, I have more time to see past the horizon of this earth-bound life.  I actually thought about the necessity of looking past this brief period that remains on earth, because there is an eternity to prepare for and it isn't far away.  I saw that one day I'll look back at this period in the flesh as a thin veil that seemed to be my entire existence, but that was just a moment in eternity's scale.  And as I considered the scope of eternity, I thought about how important it is...and how reassuring as well...that I am certain I will be with the Lord in that forever existence.  I returned to the words of Peter, once more, from the first chapter of his first epistle, where he wrote: (verses 3-6) Blessed  be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials
Having returned to Heaven, this morning, I was refreshed because I have this hope and so the words of Peter from chapter 1, verse 13 underlined the encouragement I felt: Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
 
Having been to Heaven this morning, I am ready to reenter the world this week!
 
may the sure hope of Heaven be yours,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment