Saturday, February 12, 2011

the briar patch

Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 

When I was young, some of my favorite stories were "Uncle Remus' Tales"..folksy stories about interesting animal characters.  My favorite tale was called the Tar Baby and had to do with Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit.  The fox was constantly in pursuit of the rabbit.  He was wily and quick but his hunger dulled his wits just a bit.  He thought he'd caught Brer Rabbit for sure when he tricked the hare into punching a Tar Baby that he'd made and Brer Rabbit was trapped. All Brer Fox could do was think about how he would serve up the rabbit for a meal now that he' d finally caught him.  But Brer Rabbit kept his poise.  If he could convince Brer Fox to do something that appeared to be a fate worse than death...he could escape!

So Brer Rabbit talked in a mighty humble way.

"I don't care what you do with me, Brer Fox" said Brer Rabbit. "Just don't fling me in that briar patch over there. Roast me, hang me or skin me Brer Fox, but don't fling me in in that briar patch," said Brer Rabbit.


Brer Fox swallowed the bait and flung his exasperating foe into the tangled briar patch, thinking it would be the end of the rabbit.....but it turned out that the briar patch was where Brer Rabbit was most comfortable.


"Born and bred in the briar patch, that's me," laughed Brer Rabbit. "I told you not to throw me there. In all the world, that's the place I love best!"

With a lippity clip, he hopped away.


As lovers of Christ, we were born and bred for eternity and, at the appointed time, death is a doorway to the best place....it looks fearful but we once we are there we'll find that we are home.  This knowledge can free us to give it all we have for our Lord every day...the worst that His enemy can do is throw us in the briar patch.


blessings, with thanks to Mom for those stories and to Uncle Remus (I hope to meet you in the briar patch),

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment