Wednesday, March 2, 2011

needle in a haystack

Saturday afternoon I felt for a while like a needle lost in a haystack (didn't you ever wonder what a needle was doing in a haystack?).  I decided to hike through a heavily wooded area between the pond I visit frequently and the York River.  I knew that there was a winding creek that found its way to the river and I wanted to follow it and see if I could make it to the big water.  So I packed a bag with some energy bars, gatorade and pb&j sandwiches.  I also carried a machete to hack through the vines and undergrowth.  I headed up over one ridge after another and soon found that the creek was more like a broad marsh.  It took a lot of time and effort to work around the wet area and the farther I hiked the less sure I was of my location.  The weeds and vines and briars were very thick and pulled at me in every direction and the world had closed in.  This is a condition typically called "being lost".  Fortunately I was carrying one of the new "Smart Phones" that does everything from play music to locate the nearest pizza restaurant to track email and news.  It also has a mapping feature and the map can display the satellite picture of your specific location.  So I was able to get a precise view of where I was that also showed the location of the creek and other roads.  I zoomed in and was able to orient myself.  I realized that I was very close to a hunter's road that led directly down to the creek.  In a few minutes I found the dirt road that had been cleared to make a beautiful and easy hike through towering pines and down to some gorgeous sights of a broad winding creek and wide open marsh without a sign of any other person (and no hunters to mistake me for a Virginia moose).  Once I was able to see the big picture with eyes from above and also see my location.... I found my way.  It occurred to me that this is how it is with knowing our wonderful God.  He is above all and yet tracks our location at all times.  When I am lost I need to come to Him to get oriented and find my way back to the open path.  Then I will come out of the thick woods and find my way to the sweet water.  (It beats hacking through the briars)

Psalm 107:4 Some wandered in the wilderness,
      lost and homeless.
             5 Hungry and thirsty,
      they nearly died.
             6 "Lord, help!" they cried in their trouble,
      and he rescued them from their distress.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment