Wednesday, March 30, 2011

small world

An otter, a heron and two geese...these were a few residents of the local pond that I spied this morning.  I especially enjoyed watching the otter because he is rarely seen.  His head popped above the surface, resembling a small-eared dog swimming across the pond.  Then he dove with a small arc, revealing his tail.  He would remain underwater for 40 or 50 feet and then surface again.  His watery path reminded me of a local policeman making early morning rounds of his town.  Then I heard the unmelodic squawk of a great blue heron as it flapped long wings awkwardly and moved into a favorite breakfast fishing site.  Finally the insistent call of a goose leading his mate to some familiar corner of the water broke the peace from overhead.  It occurred to me that this pond is essentially the whole world for these creatures (although the geese may be snow birds, stopping briefly on their way north).  They didn't seem concerned about the news from Japan or the Middle East.  The pond provides their food and a place to exercise wings and tails to fly over and swim within.  I was reminded that the Lord has placed me in a pond also...with family, neighbors and friends swimming nearby.  He meets my needs and gives me a place to stretch my mind and body and heart.  The stillness of His presence is like the calm of the pond as He encourages me to live in His midst and enjoy His company.

Job 12:8 Speak to the earth, and it will instruct you.
      Let the fish in the sea speak to you

blessings,
Rob Smith (see you on the pond)

No comments:

Post a Comment