Thursday, May 19, 2011

nothing to fear

As I approached the edge of the pond near my home this morning I was overwhelmed with peace.  Peace rose from the water like the light mist that was visible there.  Peace descended from the puffy white clouds and ocean-blue sky.  But the peace was disrupted when my footsteps triggered a sudden commotion as a family of young ducks reacted to my presence and skittered madly away from the shoreline.  There must have been a dozen or more ducks and they headed off in three directions as fast as their immature wings and feet could flap and paddle them away.  If they only could have understood my intentions, they would have known that there was nothing to fear from me.  I was only there to enjoy the pond and their presence would have added to that experience.  Of course their survival instinct was engaged and that sparked their sudden departure.  I was reminded that our Lord has come near the pond of our daily lives too.  He wants to enjoy our company but we may skitter away like the ducks thinking that there is something to fear.  Perhaps if we understood His intentions we would remain still and calm and enjoy His company as He seeks to enjoy ours.  Of course there is a healthy and proper fear of the Lord but I suspect that the intended outcome of that fear is not flight but fellowship and even friendship with the One who has fashioned us all.
 
Psalm 16:11 You will show me the way of life,
      granting me the joy of your presence
      and the pleasures of living with you forever.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment