Monday, May 23, 2011

the ultimate animal

This morning I spied a duck on the pond as I arrived.  I left the truck door open to avoid startling the duck with the noise of closing the door but assumed he'd spotted me because he had disappeared when I walked to the water's edge.  In a few seconds he surprised me by popping up...he had dived beneath the water.  I continued to watch and he dove again...staying submerged for over half a minute and resurfacing close to 100 feet from where he had plunged beneath the water.  I hadn't seen a diving duck on the pond before.  I turns out that there are two kinds of ducks: divers and dabblers.  The dabblers bob on the surface and can stick their heads under to catch food...but the divers have a different body design that permits diving.  So the diving duck is the ultimate creature: able to fly in the air, walk on the ground, swim on the surface and even move underwater.  How remarkable that God created so many varied creatures.  You might think that He could have stopped with the diving duck...an animal that can fly between bodies of water and then navigate on land, water and beneath the surface to find food.  Certainly the duck can outperform me and has a better chance of survival in the wild.  But I'm glad that our Creator had a different kind of ultimate animal in mind when He was designing Creation.  The duck may be superior in many ways but his term of living is limited to the planet.  God had in mind an ultimate creature that would begin existence on the surface and then rise to Heaven when the time on earth was done.  We may not be able to dive like a duck, but we have the capacity to ascend to our Creator's side (and without holding our breath).

Luke 23:43 And Jesus replied, "I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise."

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment