Wednesday, July 13, 2011

W W Y D F J

Several years ago a slogan became popular in the Christian world: "What Would Jesus Do?"  It was accompanied by "W W J D" bracelets that became ubiquitous.  Really a great concept, it framed the importance of attitudes that seek actions compatible and congruent with those demonstrated by the Savior.  The expression flowed from an 1896 book, "In His Steps", by Charles Sheldon which was based on a series of messages he'd delivered to his Congregationalist church and intended to encourage a Christian lifestyle that put substance into the claims of faith.  I have a suggestion for another bracelet: "W W Y D F J", or "What Would You Do for Jesus?"  If Jesus walked through your door at work, what would your attitude be?  If Jesus stood at the cash register to ring up your purchases how would you act?  If Jesus lived next door what kind of neighbor might you be?  In a sense Jesus is present in each of our interactions.  He has said that the measure of our relationship to Him, whom we can't see, is the way we treat others, whom we can.  

Matthew 25: 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment