Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the commission

 
June 5, 1974 I was commissioned an Ensign in the U.S. Navy.  I still have the commissioning certificate framed in my office.  It states that the President of the U.S. had "special trust and confidence" in me and charged me with following his orders and the orders of all officers above me.  It also charged those of lesser rank to obey me in the course of my naval duties.  It stated that I served "at the pleasure of the President of the United States" and it was signed by the Chief of Naval Personnel and the Secretary of the Navy.  That was a long time ago but it reminds me that we have a commission as disciples of Christ.  He has confidence in us to carry the good news of His love and victory over the sin that has fractured our relationship with God.  He is placing His trust in us, as we have placed ours in HIm, to obey His directions...His Word...and to work together with others of like-faith.  We serve at His pleasure and we are motivated by the reality of our relationship and our gratitude for the work He has done in our hearts.  I may have resigned my naval commission to become a civilian but the Heavenly commission will be my challenge (and hopefully yours!) for the rest of this time on earth.
 
2 Timothy 4:1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment