Monday, January 16, 2012

the success of failure

I was reflecting this morning on how some things didn't work out the way I thought they would...but they worked out better, in a different way.  I had some early success in school that made me think I would be successful in college and generally successful in whatever I did.  But I ran into some failures in college and then I ran into some failures professionally (despite working hard and doing my best) and I was brought low.  But the result of those failures was a realization that I needed help and I became open to the reality of the Lord.  In a sense, those failures were necessary to bring me to the end of self and to the beginning of the Savior.  As I thought about it, I became grateful that the Lord had not permitted me too much success, too early.  Probably the biggest lesson to learn was that I needed Him and that finding Him defines success.  You may be facing some overwhelming challenges personally, or at work, or in relationships.  Perhaps there is a hidden blessing for you as you acknowledge that you can't handle the challenge, solve the problem or make the relationship work.  Perhaps, as you come to the end of self, you will also find the Savior waiting with His hand outstretched to hold and to shape your steps.  Sometimes we are brought low, that we might look up.

Psalm 149:4 For the LORD takes pleasure in His people;
         He will beautify the humble with salvation. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment