Tuesday, January 10, 2012

think for yourself

During my walk yesterday I thought about the history that surrounded me, as the thick woods that also surrounded me.  Indians, colonists, early pioneers, battles from the American Revolution and later the Civil War...these all are part of the thick woods of Virginia.  I thought about how awesome and overwhelming a war is and how it takes hundreds of thousands of young people and pits them against each other.  I thought about the Civil War and how those young people were from the same country but had polar opposite views that led to conflict and bloody loss of so many lives.  I thought about the forces that cause individuals to form convictions and be willing to join up with others of like mind to fight.  And then it occurred to me...how very important it is to think for myself...to allow the truest and greatest force of all...the living God...to pour wisdom and insight into my personality.   We need to test the sources of the forces that drive us into action.  For our time on earth is brief and our purpose must have its origin in the One who has placed us in this place, with these other people, in this time.

Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; 
      Therefore get wisdom. 
      And in all your getting, get understanding. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment