Saturday, June 9, 2012

contrast

Beauty is especially evident by contrast.  And our praise is especially evident by contrast as well.  This life is difficult and we are prompted to seek after God and to praise Him as we come from our need and as we give thanks for His help.  When we are directly in His presence the praise will resound from all around Him but, now...in this place..during this life...our calls to Him come from the contrast of living a life of tests and uncertainty.  This is the sense I feel from David in Psalm 6.  He cries out to the Lord from His troubles but tells the Lord that only the living can give Him praise:

Verses 4-5: Return, O Lord, rescue my soul; Save me because of your lovingkindness.  For there is no mention of You in death; In Sheol who will give you thanks?

(the pictured heron brightened my Saturday morning at the pond and gave me reason to praise this day!)

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment