Wednesday, June 27, 2012

the third person

There is the concept of the "third person" in writing.  Stories can be narrated from the perspective of "I", "You" or "He/She".  'I and You' are first and second person forms.  'He/She' refer to the third person.  We live our lives in the first person as we walk around and through our days and we interact with a lot of second persons as we go.  But I am convinced that our greatest need is for the help of the Third Person.  So often the First Person is too close to the problem and the Second Person is often the cause of the problem.  We need the Third Person to independently and effectively assist us to see the problem and to deal with it.  The Lord is the Third Person and He is always ready and available to come alongside First and Second Persons to bridge gaps, heal wounds and provide insight.  The Psalmist and king, David, had this kind of relationship with God.  Here is one phrase from Psalm 18 that captures some of this:

16 He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
    he drew me out of deep waters.
17 He rescued me from my powerful enemies,
    from those who hated me and were too strong for me.
18 They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress,
    but the Lord supported me.
19 He led me to a place of safety;
    he rescued me because he delights in me.
 

I believe that we were made not to live in the First Person or Second Person, alone...but in the constant company of the Third Person!

blessings,
Rob Smith (note the pictured geese are still looking for their third person!)

No comments:

Post a Comment