Thursday, August 16, 2012

feeling small

When we were in the Rocky Mountain National Park on Monday, we took the Ridge Road which rises to about 12,000 feet above sea level and crosses the Continental Divide (the point where water decides if it will flow east to the Atlantic or west to the Pacific).  We were above tree level...that is, no trees grow above about 11,000 feet.  The world seemed to all be below us and massive peaks surrounded us.  Great valleys opened up, either in gentle folds where we saw elk grazing, or fell sharply below our sight into beds of pine topped trees.  The air was rarefied and clean and there was a peace that caused you to just stop, for a moment.  It was a very large experience and I felt very small.  It was a good thing to feel small and be reminded that there is One who formed that setting...who also formed me.  I was in the presence of some of the finest sculpture from the Master's hand and the scale of His gallery humbled me (and now I have come back to my sea level home, content to know that I am also one of His pieces of art...but, even more, His child).

Genesis 49:26 
May the blessings of your father
    surpass the blessings of the ancient mountains,
    reaching to the heights of the eternal hills.

with love,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment