Tuesday, September 4, 2012

clouds on the mountain

I had Labor Day to myself, with Shirley working, so I decided to drive up to the Blue Ridge to hopefully do some hiking.  The ride out was pleasant, though rain and gray skies dampened the view a bit.  As I passed Charlottesville and began the climb up Afton Mountain I could see that the clouds were very low and enshrouded the top.  Reaching the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway I found myself in total fog.  It seemed a cruel blow to pass a few "scenic overlooks" where you could barely read the sign, let alone see anything of the valley below.   I had anticipated having some kind of mountain top experience and was disappointed.  But then it occurred to me that sometimes there are clouds even on the mountain top experiences.   We have a good friend who has battled cancer, infections and many close calls over the past year.  His current prognosis is not good, with the cancer now spreading.  This fellow absolutely loves the Lord and has brought much cheer and encouragement to others.  His experience has been one of clouds on the mountain top.  His view has not been clear and far and beautiful.  But then I realized that in the clouds of trial and difficulty, Joe has felt the closeness and blanketing presence of God.  The Lord wraps His strong arms around Joe like fog held me on the Blue Ridge.  His experience now is not represented by the view but by the arms of God, wrapping him tightly even as he remains on the mountain of the Lord.

Exodus 15:17 
You will bring them in and plant them on your own mountain—
    the place, O Lord, reserved for your own dwelling,
    the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hands have established.

blessings, with great love for Joe,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment