Thursday, September 13, 2012

the blessing

Genesis 27:But Rebekah overheard what Isaac had said to his son Esau. So when Esau left to hunt for the wild game, she said to her son Jacob, "Listen. I overheard your father say to Esau,'Bring me some wild game and prepare me a delicious meal. Then I will bless you in the Lord's presence before I die.' Now, my son, listen to me. Do exactly as I tell you. Go out to the flocks, and bring me two fine young goats. I'll use them to prepare your father's favorite dish. 10 Then take the food to your father so he can eat it and bless you before he dies."

There is this fascinating story of the two brothers, Esau and Jacob and how they both sought their father Isaac's blessing at the end of Isaac's life.  Jacob steals the story just like he steals the blessing through the conspiracy he and his mother, Rebekah, concoct to fool blind Isaac into believing that the younger son, Jacob, was the first born, entitled to the blessing of the father...the blessing due to Esau.  But, despite the intrigue of this clever deception, I think there is a message even greater.  Why did Jacob risk so much and why did Rebekah deliberately lie and cheat for her favorite son?  

It was because there was power in the blessing that was not dependent on the behavior of the recipient.  And that is how it is today, with we who are just as flawed and scheming as Jacob.  Our blessing comes from one whose words cannot be altered and goes to those who most earnestly seek it.  It's not that Jacob was right...Jacob was wrong.  But the father's words were the words of promise and legacy and that became the priority to Jacob and Rebekah.  If only the first born could gain access to this hope, then Jacob would find a way to have an identity change.  Just as we must go through an identity change to receive the blessing ourselves.

Blessings!
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment