Thursday, February 21, 2013

God's newspaper

Keeping up with the news is something most of us do every day.  And these days it's almost as if the "news" chases us down and jumps in front of our face.  The internet, cable, satellite broadcast, airwaves and cell phones assault us and intrude upon us with headlines and stories of events that unfold from almost anywhere at anytime.  It occurred to me this morning that we can become a people who expect the news to happen by other people, in other places.  Most newsworthy events have a certain shock value in terms of natural activity.  And then there are celebrities who are expected to make news just be being celebrities.  So I wondered what God's newspaper would look like as He roams the world for news.  I realized that God's headlines would be a bit different, perhaps, than ours.  Of course He wouldn't be surprised by any of the events that we consider screaming stories...He is the One who knows beginning from end.  But I imagine that He would take joy from the choices of everyday people like you and me, when we make choices that show preference for Him and for HIs ways over ourselves and our ways.  And when those choices lead to unnatural events like personal sacrifice for the wellbeing of others and when those choices include sharing the good news of salvation to one who is spiritually parched and when those events lead to hearts that embrace His Son and welcome His Spirit...I would imagine that might make the headlines of God's newspaper.  The Gospel is good news for us and we can become good news for Him!

Psalm 40:10 
I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart;
    I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power.
I have told everyone in the great assembly
    of your unfailing love and faithfulness.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment