Wednesday, May 15, 2013

hands

Here are several verses that trace the story of Exodus through the metaphor of the "hand".  The hand represents availability, power to enslave, power to judge, power to deliver, a means of remembering and the provision and protection of God.  Here we see the hands of everyone from Pharaoh to Moses to the people of Israel to God, Himself.  In a way, the hand represents the ultimate expression of belief and conviction as it is transmitted into action!


Exodus 4:Then the Lord asked him, "What is that in your hand?"
"A shepherd's staff," Moses replied.

Exodus Then the Lord told Moses, "Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh. When he feels the force of my strong hand, he will let the people go. In fact, he will force them to leave his land!"

Exodus 13:This annual festival will be a visible sign to you, like a mark branded on your hand or your forehead. Let it remind you always to recite this teaching of the Lord: 'With a strong hand, the Lord rescued you from Egypt.'

Exodus 14:16 Pick up your staff and raise your hand over the sea. Divide the water so the Israelites can walk through the middle of the sea on dry ground.

Exodus 15:12 
You raised your right hand,
    and the earth swallowed our enemies.

Exodus 18:10 "Praise the Lord," Jethro said, "for he has rescued you from the Egyptians and from Pharaoh. Yes, he has rescued Israel from the powerful hand of Egypt!

Exodus 33:18 Moses responded, "Then show me your glorious presence."
19 The Lord replied, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. 20 But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live." 21 The Lord continued, "Look, stand near me on this rock. 22 As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen."

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment