Sunday, May 12, 2013

image management

Yesterday, my wife Shirley and I were doing some shopping and strolling around the local outdoor shopping mall.  After finding some running shoes we wandered into a few other stores just to look around.  One particular shop fascinated us.  It specializes in women's purses.  As soon as we entered the store the smell of fine leather washed over us.  My wife explained that many women like to be seen with a purse bearing the name of this store.  I picked up one of the purses and turned it around and looked inside.  It just seemed like a fancy bag to me until I saw the price: $598.  As we wandered through the brightly colored purse displays we saw a number of women excitedly looking over the various styles.  One of the store staff busily was serving potential customers, bringing more purses from the storeroom for them to consider, the way you might consider buying a pair of shoes.  One or two of the ladies in the store was headed for the cashier with several purses to buy.  Shirley asked if I could sense the frenzy and fervor of the customers...I guess I could but all I wanted was to escape and get some fresh air outside the door of the store.  I told her that men certainly have their "hot buttons" too for certain goods, like new cars and sporting goods.  We can put a lot of money into image management and I suppose that these purses have a lot to do with this.  When people in the know see a lady carrying one of these expensive articles they realize that they are seeing someone who either has a lot of money or used to before buying the purse.  It occurred to me that image management is important for the Christian as well.  We are interested in reflecting the image of the indwelling Lord.  Perhaps that is why the Lord gives us both the gifts and the fruit of the Spirit.  Hopefully when we are around others they will realize that they are with someone who is carrying not an expensive purse but a priceless person within...the person of Christ Himself!

Romans 8:11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment