Monday, June 3, 2013

the offering

We are working through the book of Leviticus in our survey of the Bible.  This is tough going.  Yesterday, in our class, I characterized the Book of Leviticus as "the swamp", just because it is like reading through a law book (which, of course, it is!).  But several impressions stand out as I am nearing the completion of this book.  1. God is detail oriented and very specific.  There is no doubt about His statements of what is right and what is wrong or about the procedures to be followed.  And I am reminded that God is detail oriented in my life as well.  He has many plans and thoughts and He has an "ideal" in mind for my life.  2. Holiness is important in our lives because God is holy.  The detailed and complex set of commands for sacrifice and cleansing were all necessary because of this truth.  While God is holy, we are not.  I am reminded that this is why Jesus came to earth and completed His work of perfect sacrifice to do what I could never do and make it possible for me, an unholy person, to come before the Holy God.  3. A great deal of time, attention and value was placed on the offerings that the people of Israel brought.  The offerings came from the provision of God in their lives...their livestock and their crops.  I am reminded that I am to give back to God what He was already given me for life, provision  and the abilities and skills He has equipped me with.  And this "giving back" is not occasional.  It is to be a daily and a continual giving back.   This is how I can align my life with the giver of life!

Leviticus 19 The Lord also said to Moses, "Give the following instructions to the entire community of Israel. You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy."

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment