Monday, September 23, 2013

the heart of Deuteronomy

Somehow when I think about the Old Testament I don't think about tender words like "heart" as much as the New Testament. But there is a lot of heart in Deuteronomy. There is a lot about the heart of God and the heart of man. In fact, it seems pretty clear that the heart of God is for the heart of man. Here are a few passages:
Deuteronomy 7:7 "The Lord did not set his heart on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations!"
Deuteronomy 4:29 But from there you will search again for the Lord your God. And if you search for him with all your heart and soul, you will find him.
Deuteronomy 5:29 Oh, that they would always have hearts like this, that they might fear me and obey all my commands! If they did, they and their descendants would prosper forever.
But here is the verse that caught my ear:
Deuteronomy 10:16 Therefore, change your hearts and stop being stubborn.
I was reminded that I have control over my heart. I can choose to change and I can set my heart upon the Lord, just as He has set His heart on me. This short verse also speaks to the problem we have with making that choice. We are proud and stubborn and satisfied with ourselves or with hearts that are set on anything other than the Lord. I was reminded to be grateful that the Lord has set His heart on me and challenged to drop my stubborn attitude and anything that is in the way of following that love.
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment