Wednesday, May 28, 2014

finding the refuge

Psalm 61: 1 O God, listen to my cry!
Hear my prayer!
2 From the ends of the earth,
I cry to you for help
when my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety,
3 for you are my safe refuge,
a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.
4 Let me live forever in your sanctuary,
safe beneath the shelter of your wings!
-
As I read the Psalms one of the recurring themes is of being pursued by enemies and seeking protection and safety. We may not have actual people coming after us as the Psalmist did, with arrows and stones. But we may have problems and temptations and spiritual, inner enemies that seek to do us harm. I love the language of Psalm 61, one of many Psalms that covers this situation. "Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge". The positive side of these kinds of serious problems and crises is that they can cause us to look for shelter in the one place we are sure to find it...in the Lord, Himself. If problems lead us to the Lord then we have come to the Lord out of our need. And as we experience the peace and protection that comes from bringing our cares and concerns to Him, our relationship with Him is strengthened and the next time we face difficulty we will come to Him. Before long, we are coming to Him even before we have a crisis because we long to be with the trustworthy One, who loves us and protects us and, more than anything, longs for our company.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment