Sunday, August 24, 2014

sitting on the stairs

As a teenager I remember sitting on the stairs to finish the last part of getting dressed...putting on my shoes. It was just a convenient place to do that. These days I like to sit on the front porch steps and look out toward the east in the morning when the sun is coming up. Yesterday I was reading through that wonderful chapter in the Bible: John 1, where Jesus emerges onto the scene and begins His ministry. As He meets and greets the disciples He describes Himself to them as a "stairway between heaven and earth" (verse 51). I was struck with the beauty and simplicity of that term "stairway". Jesus is providing a beautiful word picture of His role and purpose in the lives of men. He is the one through whom we can ascend to that very real place called Heaven. It is fascinating that, through the ministry of the Lord, men can begin that trip even while they are here and ultimately complete the ascent upon departing the natural life. I was reminded of the beauty of "sitting on the stairs" as an illustration of sitting in the arms of Jesus. Maybe I'll go back to sitting there as I put my shoes on once again...
-
John 1:51 Then he said, "I tell you the truth, you will all see heaven open and the angels of God going up and down on the Son of Man, the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth."
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment