Monday, March 30, 2015

driving lesson #2

 
Driving the interstate is a daily event for me each work day.  You see some interesting behavior on the highway as people are intent on reaching their destinations.  One phenomena that intrigues me is the "right lane / left lane" approach that many folks have.  Many drivers are eager to push up to the next car ahead in the left lane, regardless of the speed limit...they are eager to push the pack ahead.  Some aggressive drivers use the "lane weave" strategy to move ahead by bouncing from side to side in an effort to beat the crowd.  It used to be that the right lane was the normal location for steady state driving and the left lane was used to pass, with a return to the right lane after passing.  But many drivers stay in the left lane, as their normal lane. 
-
I've been working on being content with right lane driving.  I find it more relaxing to hold a speed and maintain a safe distance to the car ahead.  When I remain in the left lane I feel like I'm pressing and tend to get too close to the car ahead.  It occurred to me that the "right lane / left lane" phenomena is something like life.  If we are content we can remain in the right lane.  Normal highway speed should get me to the destination just fine if I've allowed enough time for the trip.  Staying in the left is like discontentment...feeling like I need to "make it happen".  Making the right side my primary location makes sense as I travel the daily road with the Lord too!
-
Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.
-
blessings this day,
Rob Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment