Wednesday, March 18, 2015

signs at the gate

  I was bumping along in heavy traffic recently, slowed by a stop light, and noticed a sign prominently displayed next to the entrance of a condominium community.  The sign made three clear statements: "No Hunting.  No Dumping.  No Trespassing".  That's an interesting way to greet folks as they pass your entrance, I thought.  I'm sure the sign was posted because they had experienced all of those violations of their property.  But it created a barrier mindset rather than a welcome.  Of course it is sad and totally improper when property is not respected.  It occurred to me, however, that we may put out signs like these to others as they pass us relationally.  We may place a sign near the front of our personality that says, "No dumping of problems. No hunting for help.  No trespassing of your issues on my life." I thought about  the words and ways of Jesus when He beckoned others to draw near:  Matthew 11:28-30  Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you.  Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."
-
It is interesting to consider the sign we post by our personal entrances.   Is it a warning or a welcome?
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment