Saturday, March 26, 2016

focused on flight

I was enjoying some peaceful moments by the pond this morning when a few blue herons flew by, about 80 feet above the water.  I thought about the beauty of their flight and was impressed with their powerful wings.  I thought about flight and how these birds have relatively lightweight and small body structures (though long legs) while also having the large and powerful wings.  A quick search on Wikipedia revealed that the wingspan of the great blue heron is about two feet longer than the height of the bird.  In God's design, that is a serious commitment to flight.  Wouldn't it be great to fly?
-
I thought about spiritual soaring...since the physical kind isn't going to work with my kind of wingspan.  How can I boost the spiritual wingspan to permit me to soar over problems and issues and ride the currents of God's holy wind?
-
Isaiah 40:31 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint.
-
Waiting for the Lord...how often do I do that really?  I'm afraid too often that I charge ahead and expect the Lord to catch up with me!  Who would associate flight with waiting?  They seem contradictory...but that's the flight plan with God.  We need to wait for his arms to carry us; His Spirit to lift us; His wings to fly for us.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment