Monday, April 25, 2016

Fw: Lunch daily




----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Rob Smith <toanosmith@yahoo.com>
To: Rob Smith <rsmith@mycwa.com>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 7:19 AM
Subject: Lunch daily

Over the weekend we had dinner at a local restaurant.  I was struck by a sign they posted out front (picture).  It said "Lunch daily".  I thought to myself..."Of course...lunch daily...that's what I do".  How else could you even think about lunch.  Very few days pass without me having lunch.  It really is a daily event for me.  Without food being consumed daily I wouldn't be on the planet very long.  It's kind of a habit I acquired very early, enjoy daily and have no intentions of stopping!
-
We have been reading in the book of John that Jesus described himself as food.  He called himself the bread of life and living water.  He also said that it was necessary to eat his flesh and drink his blood (now that's getting into some serious allegory).  In fact when Jesus gave this last instruction many people stopped following him because they didn't grasp his meaning.  He gave this teaching the day after feeding 5,000 from five loaves of bread and two fish...showing that he was sovereign over things like food and could make food and meet that need directly.  Many followed him across the sea of Galilee to get lunch again and he told them that it was more important to realize their need to believe in Him than to get a free lunch.  In John 6:27 Jesus said, "Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you."  When people asked how they could acquire this kind of food Jesus replied in verse 29, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent."  He stated further in verse 35, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."  Eating is a process of taking something that starts outside of our body and is taken into our body to sustain our natural lives.  Jesus also starts outside of our lives and when we believe and trust in Him we take Him inside and receive lasting life.  Jesus stated in verse 51: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.  And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."
-
blessings,
Rob Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment